Our mission is to promote stable, healthy homes and neighborhoods by providing services and educational programs focused on low to moderate income families in the greater Battle Creek area
The vision of NIBC is for all families to have healthy, stable homes and neighborhoods.
Neighborhoods Inc. of Battle Creek (NIBC)
We are a Michigan 501(C)3 non profit. We are:
- Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), part of the Community Development Finance Fund of the U. S. Department of the Treasury;
- Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) certified housing counselors;
- Licensed Michigan Mortgage Loan Originators and Servicers
We are governed by a Board of Directors selected from engaged residents, community leaders, government officials, and private sector business people. Our Board represents a cross section of the Battle Creek community and is in touch with its needs and how things get done.
The organization is directed by its Chief Executive Officer along with a staff of highly-experienced, cross-trained and compassionate professionals that serve the community.
What We Do
We work in four program lines, all within the context of community development. Market conditions have recently dictated adjustments in how we approach parts of our business. As such, we are continuously evolving and adjusting our program to reflect the needs we see in our community.
Our Core Values
- Community – We will not lose sight of who we serve, the families that constitute the community and who, collectively and individually,
must drive solutions.
- Effective Stewardship – We understand that properly managing the funds that are entrusted to us is paramount to maintaining the trust
of the funders and stakeholders that invest in the community through us.
- Integrity – We strive to maintain transparency and openness in everything we do. We invite constructive critical review and will be accountable for our choices. Try as we might, we may not always make the right choices; but, we will instill in our staff and leadership, the capacity to acknowledge any misdirection. When we recognize it, we will take immediate action to get the organization back on track regardless of individual consequences.
- Adaptability – We will always seek to be adaptable and responsive to changing conditions in our business environment and around the families in the community.
- Measurability – We will strive to maintain the mechanisms to best measure our successes and our shortcomings. Understanding and
articulating the distance we have traveled is critical to assessing the resources we need as we go forward.
- Racial Equity – We actively support fair housing and issues related to “developing the whole child,” including education, childhood health and food systems, and family economic security, all with a strong emphasis on eliminating the disparate outcomes for children based on race and poverty.
Doing Business With Us
NIBC tries to do as much business as possible with locally based companies. If you have an interest in being an approved contractor please contact us at 269-968-1113. We are members of: